Helpful Links:

Engineering Handbook

Featured Courses

ESE Minors

Second Majors: EE or SS

Department Contacts

Study Abroad

Your ESE Department Contact:

Staci Kaplan
Undergraduate Program Coordinator
Office: Room 203 Moore

Study Abroad Spotlight

Alex Goldman, Class of 2016

Ever since I began my freshman year at Penn, I knew that I wanted to take a semester abrad. I'm very lucky to have been able to travel around the world with my family growing up, so I set a few restrictions for myself about where I could go abroad. I wanted to either learn a new language or improve my ability to speak Spanish, so I didn't want to study in a country that only spoke English. READ MORE


Studying Abroad as an ESE Student

All students within the ESE Department - SSE, EE, NETS, and CMPE majors - are encouraged to study abroad. Options for study abroad include summer, semester, or full year programs across five continents and various countries. Additionally, there are courses available that can be used towards ESE requirements if pre-approved. The ESE department at Penn works in tandem with SEAS at large, and our students, to ensure that students do not need to worry about falling behind while abroad.

(From left to right: Adam Stravitz (SSE, '16) studied in Hong Kong; Micah Jaffe (SSE, '17) studied in Valencia, Spain; Alex Goldman (SSE, '16) studied in Zurich, Switzerland.)

Students pursuing a BSE, BAS, or dual degree are all encouraged to explore Penn Abroad Programs. If you are interested in going abroad, it helps quite a bit to start planning early. To get started, reach out to Staci Kaplan or Sonya Gwak. Note: premed students cannot fulfill premed requirements abroad.

FAQ for ESE Abroad

When should I do study abroad?
Junior year is most common (one semester or full year); however, summer programs are available to students starting after their freshman year.

How do I make this work with my major?
You can take ESE courses abroad to satisfy ESE requirement after meeting with the SEAS study abroad advisor.

Be sure to review this checklist when starting the study abroad process.

Where can I go?
There are over 20 distinct abroad programs available to ESE students at Penn. An organized list of these currently available programs can be found below.

Programs at which students can receive SEAS credits (provided by Penn Abroad):

● AIT Budapest (Hungary)
● ETH Zürich (Switzerland)
● Institute Polytechnique de Grenoble (France)
● Jacobs University Bremen (Germany)
● King's College London (England)
● Oxford University: Pembroke College (England)
● Oxford University: St. Edmund Hall (England)
● Queen Mary, University of London (England)
● University College London (England)
● University of Manchester (England)
● University of York (England)
● Universidad de Cantabria (Spain)
● Universitat Politecnica de Valencia (Spain)
● University of Edinburgh (Scotland)

● Shanghai Jiao Tong University (China)
● Chinese University of Hong Kong (China)
● Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (China)

● CIEE Cape Town, South Africa: Arts and Science (South Africa)
South America
● Instituto Technologico de Buenos Aires (Argentina)
Australia/New Zealand
● James Cook University (Australia)
● University of Melbourne (Australia)
● University of New South Wales (Australia)
● University of Otago in Dunedin (New Zealand)
● University of Sydney (Australia)

Additionally, if there is a program you would like to apply for that is not currently offered through Penn Abroad, you can petition to participate in that specific program.  Note: This process is relatively complex and is not recommended.

Study Abroad Advising

Any ESE student interested in studying abroad should reach out to Staci Kaplan , ESE Undergraduate Programs Coordinator. She will help with scheduling logistics of going abroad and can answer questions about the course approval process. Students must also meet with Sonya Gwak, Associate Director for Undergraduate Affairs, to ensure that they satisfy requirements toward their major. For a faculty perspective on working or studying abroad, students can contact Dr. Andre DeHon.