- Five (5) course units are required in any of the areas below.
- Students can select any combination from within these areas and are not limited to a single area.
Physical Devices & Nano Systems
|ESE 510: Electromagnetic & Optical Theory|
|ESE 515: Internet of Things Sensors and Systems|
|ESE 518: Electrical Energy Storage: Battery & Super-Capacitive Systems|
|ESE 521: The Physics of Solid State Energy Devices|
|ESE 523: Quantum Engineering|
|ESE 525: Nanoscale Science and Engineering|
|ESE 526: Photovoltaic Systems Engineering|
|ESE 529: Introduction to MEMS and NEMS|
|ESE 536: Nanofabrication and Nanocharacterization|
|ESE 574: Principles & Practice of Microfabrication Technology|
Circuits & Computer Engineering
|ESE 519: Real Embedded Systems|
|ESE 532: System-On-A-Chip Architecture|
|ESE 535: Electronic Design Automation|
|ESE 539: Hardware/Software Co-Design for Machine Learning|
|ESE 570: Digital Integrated Circuits & VLSI Fundamentals|
|ESE 572: Analog Integrated Circuits|
|ESE 578: RF Integrated Circuits|
|ESE 668: Mixed Signal Design and Modeling|
Information & Decision Systems
|ESE 500: Linear Systems Theory|
|ESE 5060: Intro to Optimization Theory (Formerly known as ESE 504: Intro to Linear, Nonlinear,and Integer Optimization)|
|ESE 505: Controls of Systems|
|ESE 507: Introduction to Networks and Protocols|
|ESE 512: Dynamical Systems|
|ESE 528. Estimation and Detection Theory|
|ESE 530: Elements of Probability Theory|
|ESE 531: Digital Signal Processing|
|ESE 542: Statistics for Data Science|
|ESE 545: Data Mining: Learning from Massive Datasets|
- Two (2) course units of approved electives from graduate courses at Penn in SEAS, SAS, Medicine, Law, Wharton MBA, Social Policy, and Education.
- Open Elective courses must have technical/scientific content and relevance to the student’s program.
- Approval must be obtained from the ESE department via petition prior to enrollment in the course.
- Pre-Approved courses can be found on the EE CPG Precedent List.
***ESE 680 Special Topics This course can be taken several times and counted more than once toward the degree. Each ESE 680 course taken must address a different topic to be eligible.
ESE 597 Master’s Thesis Option If a thesis is completed, it will count for 1 or 2 course units of ESE 597 toward the degree.
ESE 599 Independent Study Maximum of one (1) course unit can be used toward the degree within a pre-approved category.
Cross-Listed Courses MUST be registered with the 500-level course number to be eligible as a graduate level course. Any cross-listed section at the 400-level or below is ineligible towards the degree.
Transfer Courses Maximum of two (2) graduate-level course units may be transferred from another school to apply towards the degree. These cannot have been used to fulfill undergraduate degree requirements.