- Five (5) course units are required in any of the areas below.
- Students can select any combination from within these areas and are not limited to a single area.
Physical Devices & Nano Systems
|ESE 5090: Quantum Circuits and Systems|
|ESE 5100: Electromagnetic & Optical Theory|
|ESE 5130: Prin of Quantum Tech|
|ESE 5210: The Physics of Solid State Energy Devices|
|ESE 5230: Quantum Engineering|
|ESE 5250: Nanoscale Science and Engineering|
|ESE 5290: Introduction to MEMS and NEMS|
|ESE 5360: Nanofabrication and Nanocharacterization|
Circuits & Computer Engineering
|ESE 5150: Internet of Things Sensors and Systems|
|ESE 5160: IoT Edge Computing|
|ESE 5190: Smart Devices (previously titled “Introduction to Embedded Systems”)|
|ESE 5320: System-On-A-Chip Architecture|
|ESE 5350: Electronic Design Automation|
|ESE 5390: HW/SW Co-Design for ML|
|ESE 5700: Digital Integrated Circuits & VLSI Fundamentals|
|ESE 5720: Analog Integrated Circuits|
|ESE 5780: RFIC (Radio Frequency Integrated Circuit) Design|
|ESE 5800: Power Electronics|
|ESE 6680: Mixed Signal Design and Modeling|
Information & Decision Systems
|ESE 5000: Linear Systems Theory|
|ESE 5030: Simulation Modeling and Analysis|
|ESE 5050: Feedback Control Design and Analysis|
|ESE 5060: Intro to Optimization Theory (previously “ESE 5040: Intro to Linear, Nonlinear, and Integer Optimization”)|
|ESE 5070: Introduction to Networks and Protocols|
|ESE 5120: Dynamical Systems for Engineering and Biological Applications|
|ESE 5140: Graph Neural Networks|
|ESE 5280: Estimation and Detection Theory|
|ESE 5300: Elements of Probability Theory|
|ESE 5310: Digital Signal Processing|
|ESE 5420: Statistics for Data Science|
|ESE 5450: Data Mining: Learning from Massive Datasets|
|ESE 5460: Principles of Deep Learning|
- Two (2) course units of approved electives from graduate courses at Penn in SEAS, SAS, Medicine, Law, Wharton MBA, Social Policy, and Education.
- Open Elective courses must have technical/scientific content and relevance to the student’s program.
- Approval must be obtained from the ESE department via petition prior to enrollment in the course.
- Pre-Approved courses that do not require a petition for Category D:
- Any course that could count in Category A, B, or C (per the above guidelines.)
- Any course listed as approved on the EE CPG Precedent List.
***ESE 6800 Special Topics This course can be taken several times and counted more than once toward the degree. Each ESE 6800 course taken must address a different topic to be eligible.
ESE 5970 Master’s Thesis Option If a thesis is completed, it will count for 1 or 2 course units of ESE 5970 toward the degree.
ESE 5990 Independent Study Maximum of one (1) course unit can be used toward the degree within a pre-approved category.
Cross-Listed Courses MUST be registered with the 5000-level course number to be eligible as a graduate level course. Any cross-listed section at the 4000-level or below is ineligible towards the degree.
Transfer Courses Maximum of two (2) graduate-level course units may be transferred from another school to apply towards the degree. These cannot have been used to fulfill undergraduate degree requirements.